Summer is just around the corner, and it promises to be another warm one. This summer, we know that homeowners will do everything they can to stay cool, and that usually means cranking up the AC. But overworking your unit could lead to the need for costly AC repair in Grand Junction, CO, something we know everyone wants to avoid. Fortunately, there are many different little things you can do to keep your home cool—and save money—without overworking your AC. Here are seven tips for saving money and avoiding AC repair in Grand Junction, CO this summer:
- Natural shade: This one might not pay off immediately, but if your front and backyards don’t already have a lot of shady plants, this spring and summer might be the perfect time to plant some. Eventually, the trees and other plants will provide natural shade for your entire property.
- Window screens: Did you know that mesh window screens can block up to 70 percent of solar heat entering your home? This easy, affordable solution will add tons of efficiency and value to your home, while keeping your family cool all summer long.
- Programmable thermostat: In most households, there are usually at least a few hours a day when nobody is home, and of course the temperature drops a bit at night. Make sure your thermostat is programmed to give your AC a break during these times. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, now might be the time to get one.
- AC maintenance: Paying a little now could save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars further down the line. That is certainly the case with thorough AC maintenance, which helps make sure your AC is as efficient and clean as possible, and helps nip potential problems in the bud.
- Furniture arranging: If you have a large chair, couch or other piece of furniture that is in the direct path of an AC vent, you could be hindering the flow of cold air without even knowing it. Make sure your furniture is arranged for optimal efficiency. A trusted source for AC repair in Grand Junction, CO should be able to help you with this.
- Dim lighting: As anyone who has ever experienced a major heat wave knows, your best bet for cooling down is inhabiting dark, cool spaces. During the peak heat of the afternoon, try closing the blinds in your house and keeping the lighting as dim as possible.
- Fans: While air conditioners create cold air for a household, ceiling or room fans can help spread that cold air around. Be sure to take advantage of any and all fans you have. It might even be worth it to invest in some personal fans for the whole family to use during those major summer heat waves.
With a little effort and the help of qualified professionals, you should be able to keep your home cool this summer without running up a huge utility bill or needing AC repair in Grand Junction, CO. For maintenance help and more, call Double Diamond Plumbing today.