If you have the spring sun and warm weather on your mind, you are not alone. Spring is in the air, an indication that household air conditioners will soon be put to work. But you’ll never make it through the season with a busted AC. By following some of the suggestions below, you may be able to avoid having to shell out for costly air conditioning repair in Grand Junction, CO:
- Test your AC early on: Even though spring days are upon us, the temperatures can still be in the cooler range, cool enough for you to not quite need to kick on the air conditioner. But as spring goes on, daytime temperatures will get warmer until the summer heat rolls in. The key to keeping away from needed repairs during the warmer months, when you’re more likely to use your cooler, is to make sure the system is working properly before you need it most. Test your AC now by running it for 30 minutes; pay attention for strange sounds or unusual smells.
- Preventative maintenance: Every month, every season and every year—there are easy things you can do year-round to ensure that your air conditioning system is working right. This includes wiping down all visible parts like the outside of the main unit and air vents, cleaning or replacing air filters and performing your own inspections for damage. Every homeowner should know the basics of HVAC maintenance, but it doesn’t hurt to schedule annual checkups with a professional.
- Do not overwork the system: Not overworking the AC system can fall into the category of preventative maintenance. This means you may be able to prevent system breakdown or costly damage to system parts simply by programming the thermostat to a moderate temperature, and then leaving it alone. To keep the cool air inside, make sure doors and windows are shut and check seals for effectiveness.
- Keep your home clean: Springtime brings about a lot of indoor air pollutants, which are let in through opened doors and windows, as well as tracked in by people and pets. Although the home’s HVAC air filters work hard to trap indoor air particles—like dust, pollen, pet dander, pet fur, mold, bacteria and other floating contaminants—you also have to contribute to the cleanliness of your home. If you dust your furniture, wipe down fixtures and vacuum at least once a week, you can stop excess air particles from settling and building up in the ductwork.
- Don’t ignore problems: Hearing loud banging sounds when the unit is on, noticing strange smells coming through vents and leaving old wiring or coils hanging on by a thread can all turn into larger issues over time. It’s important to understand that ignoring problems with your AC does not make them go away, and doing so could be setting you up for expensive air conditioning repair in Grand Junction, CO further down the road.
Before the spring weather gets warmer, consider scheduling a general air conditioning system inspection with one of the experts at Double Diamond Plumbing. Contact us today for assistance!