As we all know too well, the winter season is one that is harsh and relentless. The cold temperatures, heavy snowfall and gusty winds prove to be unforgiving and if the heating system in your house isn’t properly prepared to face the conditions, it can prove to put you and your family at risk.
Although it may seem crazy to start “winterizing” your home when there are days it may still reach the 60-degree mark, it’s better to be safe than sorry and have your home looked at by heating contractors in Grand Junction, CO.
Why start preparing so early? Here are a few reasons it’s important to make sure your home is ready:
1. Gas leaks: If the gas in your home does not receive a regular maintenance check prior to winter hitting, you are putting you and your family at risk of exposure to a gas leak. Liquid petroleum and natural gas leaks can be fatal if not fixed immediately.
Gas leaks not only put you and your home at the risk of an explosion due to the explosive nature of gas when exposed to heat, but if ingested enough, the gas can be fatal to humans.
You can tell if there is a gas leak if you come across a horrible smell, one that may smell like rotten eggs. An additive in the gas, called Methanethiol, is added for easier detection and removal should it ever leak, causes this.
2. Carbon monoxide leaks: Should you put off having your heating system checked, it can cause another dangerous leak and that is carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an extremely poisonous gas that has proven to be fatal if not detected and fixed.
3. Limited availability: As you move into the winter months, those that didn’t plan ahead—which are most people—start to make their appointments, causing the appointment availability to become much more limited, especially when severe weather prompts the need for service. In other words, don’t wait until the last minute to schedule an appointment!
4. Fire hazards: In addition to the above gas leaks that can cause fires, if there are buildups like dust and other materials in your heating components, there is potential for an uncontrolled combustion, causing a house fire.
Setting up your routine maintenance checkup will make sure that your heating systems are clean and ready to run as soon as the cold weather hits, preventing those unforeseen disasters.
5. Convenience: Although this isn’t thought of right away, in our fast-paced, schedule-packed world we find that we appreciate convenience more than anything. It should be no different when setting up your routine inspections. Simply making the decision to schedule your appointment now and get it out of the way will not only make you feel better that your HVAC system will be working properly when winter hits, it also gives you the flexibility to do it on your time, not when you are forced to.
Making sure that your home is winter-ready by contacting your local heating contractors in Grand Junction, CO will not only put your mind at ease that it’s taken care of, but also ensure the safety of you and your loved ones all winter long.